ROCpod: Talking with the Registered Organisations Commission
Episode 25: Good governance in practice: the duties of officers
The duties of officers are central to good governance and the effective operations of registered organisations and branches. The expectation that officers will act with care and diligence, in good faith and with a proper purpose encourages high standards of accountability to members.
In this episode we explain the statutory duties of office-holders and share tips about how organisations can support their officers to act ethically and comply with their duties. We also discuss contemporary examples of how the Courts have enforced them.
3:45: The duty to act with care and diligence
6:40: Can officers rely on the information of others?
12:30: The duty to act in good faith and with a proper purpose
16:45: Governance controls to prevent and detect misuse of money
18:30: Officer education and the benefits of a ‘speak up’ culture
22:30: ROC’s role in regulating the conduct of officers
Downloads and links
Other ROCpod episodes
- Episode 1: What to expect from your auditor
- Episode 2: The importance of good governance
- Episode 3: Interview with the Commissioner
- Episode 4: Who is an officer?
- Episode 5: Dual registration
- Episode 6: Spotlight on whistleblower disclosures
- Episode 7: Demystifying the ORP statement
- Episode 8: How the ROC regulates
- Episode 9: Help for organisations during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Episode 10: Behind the scenes with the ROC
- Episode 11: Good governance in practice: record keeping and decision making
- Episode 12: Working together for an efficient election
- Episode 13: Good governance in practice: holding meetings
- Episode 14: The ROC Toolbox
- Episode 15: Good governance in practice: officer induction
- Episode 16: The Commissioner: 2020 and the year ahead
- Episode 17: Good governance in practice: conflicts of interest
- Episode 18: Working together to assist registered organisations
- Episode 19: Election exemptions - what they are and how do they work?
- Episode 20: Good governance in practice: creating a 'speak up' culture
- Episode 21: Lessons from the Federal Court
- Episode 22: Lodge on time, one time, every time
- Episode 23: Is it time to change your registered auditor?
- Episode 24: Corporate governance experiences and what registered organisations can learn from them
ROCpod is the official podcast of the Registered Organisations Commission. It is copyright to the Commonwealth of Australia. The opinions expressed in ROCpod are the opinions of the particular speaker and not necessarily the opinions of the Registered Organisations Commission. This information is general and is not intended to be comprehensive, it is designed to assist in gaining an understanding of the relevant provisions of the legislation, the ROC and its work. The ROC is not able to provide legal or accounting advice. For further information please see the materials on our website www.roc.gov.au or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org