Home | About us | News & Media | Contact us

Complaints about a registered organisation

Complaints about unions and employer associations registered under the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 (the RO Act) can be lodged with the Registered Organisations Commission (the ROC).

The ROC accepts complaints about organisations failing to comply with the requirements of the RO Act. For instance:

  • mishandling of organisation funds
  • misconduct by officers in their officer duties (particularly in relation to financial management)
  • non-compliance with elections, financial reporting, record keeping and the financial disclosure requirements of the legislation

For the ROC Compliance and Enforcement Policy, please see the ROC policies webpage.

The ROC also has a whistleblower jurisdiction that accepts complaints that an organisation, its officers or employees have breached the RO Act, the Fair Work Act or has committed an offence under a Commonwealth law. The ROC may refer these complaints to a more appropriate agency.


You can contact us at regorgs@roc.gov.au.


The ROC is not able to assist members of organisations who believe that their organisation has not:

  • supplied them with a level of service that the member believes to be reasonable
  • fulfilled their consumer contractual obligations